Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:08:26 +1000

2009/6/4 Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>

> At various times, various people have claimed that HQ is easy for
> newbies, and others have claimed it is difficult for newbies. So what is
> it? Does anyone have any good evidence either way?

The system is fairly simple (and presumably with the end of Extended Contests this is even more true now) but some of the assumptions can be hard for experienced gamers to break with. It is a bit *weird* for people who mostly play traditional roleplaying games mostly - just as you say.

I think the difficulty with HQ2 (and this *is* armchair speculation from me sorry) is that it might not be easy for someone to *run*, rather than it not being easy for someone to *play*. Comments like "it's a toolkit" etc seem to suggest this to me. Now, this is precisely what I am hoping for but it may not be what most people expect and it may not be new-user-friendly.

(And IaWA requires a reasonable amount of prep - it is just prep that is part of the game, and shared by everyone so it is less odious to some people than three hour solo dungeon design by a single facilitator. I know I really really really enjoy the "scenario-building" part of IaWA)

--
John Machin