Re: Pre-order?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:14:44 -0700

Doug

>For years I've heard that going through a FLGS was the better option.
>The profit margin is higher for direct purchasing, but there are more
>overall sales when a FLGS is involved. Is this no longer the case? I'd
>prefer to order online, but I'm willing to go through the FLGS if that
>helps out in the long run.

NOT speaking for Moon Design here, but...

Obviously Moon Design's margins are better for direct sales. (Good for Moon Design, and good for you if it helps Moon Design keep publishing more great products.)

Obviously there's an advantage to you if you HAVE a FLGS to look at products, find other gamers, and make impulse purchases of dice. And you save on shipping.

Less obvious is the value to Moon Design for a store purchase. If the store orders one copy just for you, it's bad for you (takes longer) and for Moon Design (lower margins). If the store orders enough copies that other people discover the game, it's good for you (larger player pool) and for Moon Design (greater revenue).

I do have a FLGS, and have made purchases there of stocked items, but haven't had them order anything. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the likelihood of them ordering extra copies is not high -- there are just so many indie games out there.

This is a bit of a chicken and egg thing (or maybe Alice's Restaurant). If you're the only one who orders through your FLGS, Moon Design doesn't benefit. If you're the first of several who order through the SAME FLGS, the store is going to see a trend and order extras.

I think the calculations will vary depending on your local situation. If my local game store were especially friendly, I might be inclined to reward them by giving them my business. If a bunch of my gaming group were to be buying the game at the same time, I'd have them each order at the FLGS in order to kick-start sales. Failing that, I'd follow Moon Design's analysis and prefer direct orders.

--

David Dunham