Re: Looking for an unusual kind of game.

From: Kenrae <kenrae_at_...>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:27:40 +0200

> Re: Looking for an unusual kind of game.
> Posted by: "David Dunham" david_at_... alakoring
>
> I was specifically shooting for the HQ 100 word limit, and I think
> that's a good goal for use in a game -- there's about 20 ratable
> abilities for Edge. More than that and not only is the sheet
> unwieldy, but you don't have the opportunity to use most of them in
> play.
>
> One way to pare things down is to delete backstory from your
> character writeup. I know some people find it helpful, but for the
> writeup, use the "show, don't tell" principle. Is "Lyonnaise Mother"
> something that could be used in game? Potentially (Ko has relatives
> there), so include it. Is "Mother was captured in Greek Isles?" I
> can't easily see how -- you'd have to tell people about it rather
> than acting on it. So don't include that.

On the other hand, if you like writing a backstory, do it! This a game and you must have fun. Just don't use it for character creation. Even if you love writing a backstory, writing a 100 words description of your character helps to better define it. Think of it as having a clear idea of its important traits.

Cheers,
-Sergi Díaz