Re: Misapplied Misapplied Worship Rules?

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:09:43 +0200

Nick :

> Julian wrote:
>
> > Nick Brooke flamed:
>
> Not intentionally.

Ouch !

I think I'd *hate* to get an *intentional* flame ...

I'm not sure that my wavering mental equilibrium could handle one ...

> I don't want this list to become a hostile environment.

Good !

> I would prefer it to remain what it was meant to be: a forum for discussing
> Hero Wars rules issues.

semantics, semantics ...

Ducking the bun-fight, the exact definition of 'rules issue' is fuzzy.

> I feel that deliberately cross-posting to multiple lists is a bad thing to
> do.

Yep. I apologise. I can't apologise enough. Jeff good. Me bad. No biscuit.

> I feel that deliberately widening the scope of rules discussions to
> areas better dealt with on the Glorantha Digest is also a bad thing to do.

Generally I agree with the above ; except that it seems to me that rules discussions are almost entirely inappropriate for the GD (except for *very* excrutiatingly Gloranthan ones). So a somewhat wider area of discussion would be a good thing IMO (provided no GD-type bother is attached).

> ... and that the "shockingly"
> loose wording of some examples can still be interpreted in a way that helps
> us to play and publish in a consistent fashion.

Publishing in a consistent fashion should be much easier than before, in any case.

As to playing, well : I don't think inter-player group consistency really matters ...

> I don't think all this confusion helps me (or anyone else) generate
> Dormal-worshipping characters. And I think this is a bad thing.

I can certainly agree with that !

> Admittedly, we don't have a writeup for the Dormal Magic keyword (yet), and
> it's still possible the confusion can be cleared up before that sees print.

Actually, I think that this Cult forms one of a group which will confuse things even further when the write-ups are published. We'll see.

> But saying "These rules are very confusing, and I can't pretend I understand
> them enough to play with them: what a good thing they are!" is rather alien
> to me.

Ain't what I'm saying, though.

The rules are generally clear, with a few spots of deliberate confusion (IMO !!), that the rules nevertheless tell you to clear up during play in a sensible manner. (Pending the HeroQuest books)

> I want this game to succeed; I think it will be more likely to
> succeed if people can understand the rules; I want to iron out problems I
> see in the rules so I can help other people understand them better.

Fair enough.

> My apologies. I still find it hard to see how the statement that "these
> rules are deliberately confusing" could be intended as praise.

Well, you know ; weird frog lit crit theory, etc...

cheers,

Julian Lord