Re: Good Extended Contest Examples Anyone?

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:32:32 -0000

> >Does a victory in an extended contest exchange only
> >give you a move toward resolution (RP or AP), or does it also give a
> >mechanical advantage? (We now have higher ground, we have the backing

> Without knowing the circumstances, the rules don't provide for
> mechanical advantages. That's up to the story as described. And I'm
> pretty sure we had this come up last night, though I'm not
> remembering the detail. Situational modifiers are one possibility.
> Another is to constrain ability use

I was the narrator for this game. If the captain of one of the canoes had been taken out of the contest, I was planning to apply a situational modifier (penalty) to that canoe. As David observes, that would have been allowed but not specifically required by the rules. It didn't really come up because the captain of a canoe didn't get taken out until almost the very end.

> I believe the Narrator was guided by the pass/fail cycle,
> but not slavishly following it.)

Yup. I set the resistance slightly higher in the initial phase of the battle, then lowered it when everyone ran out of arrows. I think it had the effect of increasing dramatic tension before the player victory, which I think is the basic idea of the pass/fail (or in this case, fail/pass) cycle.

I suppose technically it's weird to do this kind of thing in the middle of an extended contest. It might have been more kosher to treat the contest as two separate ones. But it seemed to work well.

Rob