Heroforming / Augmentation issue

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:09:55 -0000

I was re-reading Gregs fun short story of "Morden Defends the Camp" in Visions of Glorantha. It occurs to me that the rules for Heroforming and Augmentation are not really compatible with the story.

The paragraph I have in mind from the story is

"Morden was fortunate because he had a powerful heroform ceremony, was able to activate into it more quickly than most men. Finally, to help himself further, Morden chose Brekun's Shield Fight. Brekun was an ancestor of Morden's, and kinship with the object of worship always helped to strengthen the connection. More importantly, Morden had practiced the feats of Brekun for many years. He would not rely entirely upon the magic he got from the ancient one -- such would be a foolish dependence or a truly desperate attempt. Thus Morden could already hurl his razor-edged shield with great skill, and so the magical impetus would enhance rather than create, and be more powerful thereby."

My problem is that there is a 5 to 1 resistance against the Augmentation. Say that the Hero's major skill is 10w3 and you have a
similar (or identical) type of skill at 10w. Roughly speaking, you have an approx 50% chance to get an Augmentation of 14 or better (I do know it is not quite so simple), giving a skill of 4w2. If however, you incarnate the same Hero and you do not have a similar skill, then you get the full 10w3 skill.

Have I completely misunderstood the Heroforming rules here? I very much look forward to the long mooted full HW game terms commentary on this story!

regards,
Charles

PS major whoops regarding ones and twenties in my previous post