Re: languages

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:51:09 -0400

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > * In the keywords, I saw that the Read[llanguage] and Write[language] were
> two
> > separate abilities.I wonder whether this was necessary or not. For me,
> even
> > if we can discuss lengthly on same, I think a single Read/Write[language]
> would
> > be enough, with some improvisional modifiers if we really want s make a
> difference.
> > But it is not wort having two seperate skill (it is even more than the so
> called
> > "rule-heavy" RQ3, which had a single skill for both !).
>
> It's Gloranthan reality according to Greg. There is an obscure god in the
> lunar empire that teaches Read&Write as a single skill (gasp!They can read
> without moving thir lips! and write without screwing up their face in
> concentration :-) ).

This is actually in keeping with pre-Renaisance practice in RL. No one was able to read without at least sounding things out -- one of the big problems was that in many languages there was either no spacing between words (Greek & Latin) or worse, a lack of vowels and emphasis so a set of symbols could mean a myriad of words (ancient Hebrew or indeed most Middle Eastern tongues)

And in the case of the Eastern cultures, *HOW* your writing looked was at least as important as what you wrote (making calligraphy an essential skill for anyone in authority -- that is, if they didn't have a scribe do it)

> > * I also noted that almost all cultures so far had similar keywords (which
> makes
> > sense) :
> > [Local]Culture, [Local] Geography, [Local] Myth (note : I am not sure
> there
> > is a great difference between Myths [history ?] and Culture, as both are
> really

Myths which can be associated with various Clans. Like How Old Man Varmand Got His Ass Whupped.

> > linked especially during ancient ages), and [Local Pantheon]Worship (or
> similar
> > broad religious skill).
> > But I didn't find a Speak [Local language]? Any reason ?
>
> It falls under "things no self-respecting hero can fail at". Now, if you
> *want* a hero that can't talk to his buddies, go ahead and give him a flaw.
>
> RR

Yeah. Though I am somehow reminded of the gaffes on had in RQ. The Murphy's Rules Pavic-Pavic dictionary springs to mind.

Jeff