Re: Re: odds

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:12:01 -0800

I don't agree with this, not quite.

If you are rolling a d20, 15 "should be" 25% better, not 50% better. If you are rolling a d15, 15 is 33% better, since it succeeds 100% of the time and 10 succeeds 66% of the time.
On percentile dice, you would hardly say that 15 is different than 10, since it only succeeds 5% of the time more often.

You still have to look at the skill number in relation to the range you are tolling

Of course, this is just the simplistic look of "did the roll succeed", not the true examination of rolling a contest. If you are saying that it is very hard to intuit the degree of advantage without crunching the odds, I totally agree. Welcome to statistics!

--Todd