Re: Mastery-Problem

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:12:35 -0700

Heini

> I think there is a major gap in the mastery rules of Hero Wars. Under
> certain circumstances during an extended contest, one player with one
> Mastery will have a heavy disatvantage if he fights somebody with two
> masterys compared to somebody without any manstery.
>
> For Example:
> John1 has Close Combat 15W2 (55 AP)
> John2 has 1W Close Combat (21 AP)
> John3 has 20 Close Combat (20AP)
>
> When 1 fight 2, 2 will roll a failure most of the time (just a 5% Chance of
> (critical)success). One will roll mostly criticals (75% chance of success
> plus 1 bump).
> If 3 fights 1, he almost always will roll a success agaist a critical
> success.
>
> Mr. One-Mastery will loose the contest more quickly (Looser Transfers
> 2x=Major Defeat) than Mr.Non-Mastery (Looser Transfers 1x=Minor Defeat).
> That's really weird. Because John2 is more skilled than John3.
>
> Do I misinterpret something? Please help!

I just ran my deterministic skill calculator. 1 beats 2 99% of the time in an extended contest (93% of the time in a simple contest). 1 beats 3 100% of the time in either form of contest. Better numbers are always better.

(I recently answered this question, but it's worth saying again: better numbers are always better.)

Java source code available on request.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein