RE: Magic Abilties (was Re:Prax spirits)

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:16:02 -0400

>From: Julian Lord [mailto:julian.lord_at_...]
>
>James Turner :
>
>>> All magic is the same thing in HW anyway (mechanics wise) regardless of
>what
>>> its called. It's how it's seen in Glorantha that's important.
>
>>Exactly.
>
>Now that's something else that's been bothering me a little bit.
>
>If in character creation I decide I can fire lightning bolts from my finger
>tips, and you opt for a pea-shooter, and we both give it the maximum 5w,
>then my lightning bolts are only as powerful as your pea-shooter.

        Your chance of winning is effected only by your ability level. Consequences of winning, however, are not necessarily the same for different abilities. Defeating someone in a contest with a peashooter may mean driving them off under a hail of painful peas, but inflicting no permanent injury.

        But for abilities that are generally agreed as capable of doing lethal damage, they are all pretty much equivalent. There is very little difference between lightning bolts and death spells or flying rocks in a raw contest - they may well differ in play, though, as they get different modifiers in different situations.

	Regards
		David