Re: Re: Umbrella keyword and specific abilitie bonuses

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:54:04 -0500

David Dunham wrote:

> LC
>
> I think you're making things more complicated than they need to be.

It seems terribly simple to me. "Does it make sense to the players?"

> There are three categories of broadness. In the combat example it
> would be something like
>
> Mercenary : Unarmed Combat : Laughing Dragon Martial Arts
>
> When abilities in more than one category are used, the more specific
> ones get a bonus.

So two things at the level of "unarmed combat" would be viewed equally.

> IMO it gets confusing if you say that some Spear fighting is more
> specific than other Spear fighting. Unless the skill is specifically
> named: Boar Spear, being a hunting skill, would be less specific than
> a Spear skill used in combat. (But the situation would be reversed
> against a boar.)

Yes. Agreed. about the boar thing.

> And you're right, the whole rule is PC focused. Nobody cares about
> the colorful abilities the GM comes up with. The idea is to encourage
> players to come up with abilities more interesting than "Warrior" or
> "Strong," which don't spark creativity the way something like
> "Laughing Dragon Martial Arts" does (it's possible to come up with a
> scenario revolving around other members of this school).

Yes. And both of these are apparently fixed keyword abilities, so it isn't a question of that.
Look, I don't have Sartar. Personally, I wouldn't have put spear fighting in a Farmer keyword anyway.
But they are apparently in the book.

> Like Jeff, I've read much Icelandic literature about fighting
> farmers. But the idea of an ordinary character up against
> professionals is pretty common. You want the hero to be able to
> succeed thanks to his drives, not face certain doom because he didn't
> train with a military unit

And again, I'm saying that depends on the story you're telling. IF your heroes are fighting farmers, of course they shouldn't be punished for not training with a military unit. But considering one of the other PCs *is* from a military unit, presumably you don't want to undercut his niche too much.

As I've said - do they players care? Then enforce it. LC