Re: simulations in HQ outsourced to Narrator

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:17:41 -0800

Well, the results are rarely so clean cut as "Did the 5-story drop billiard ball hit": Yes/No?

Instead we have a goal: "I want to hurt the spy following me on the streets below and all I have is this billiard ball." And then you have results from Complete Failure to Marginal win/loss to Complete Success.

So you might hit him right on the head, you might miss him directly but cut him with shrapnel as the ball explodes on the sidewalk, or perhaps miss him and hit the windshield of a passing police car.

Trying to break down the action of Heroquest into combat rounds where each action is a resistance roll is only approached in extended contests. Usually you just try to get to the overall result of the interaction and then the GM describes (to the detail level that interests her) the play-by-play that led to that result. The whole interplay of combat is wrapped up in one roll, unless it is the big climatic challenge.

Thus, you usually don't even need the backup of simulation numbers. HQ2 produces results that are broader than the one-action-one-result determination of simulation games.

One challenge in play, especially with players coming from a simulation game background, is to ask "why are you throwing the billiard ball at the spy? What will that eventually accomplish?" This is a great tool for getting out of the round-by-round mindset and up to the narrative level of "how will this scene be resolved?"

--Todd