Re: Re: Augment-only stats

From: Aescleal &#92;(Ashley Munday&#92;) <"Aescleal>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:53:54 -0000

I said:

>> To me the "augment only" label is a handy tool for setting the
>> expectations
>> of me playing a character or narrating. It saves me the balls ache of
>> trying to work out whether a use of an ability is really extraordinary
>> and
>> avoiding disappointing my players too much.

To which LC replied:

> Oh, I certainly use it that way. But for me it just constantly turns
> into "why do I have to find another ability when this one makes the most
> sense"? Plus, it is a complete add-on to the rules, unless there is
> something
> about augment-only abilities in the core book which I missed.

I can't speak for The Creator Himself or his Prophet* but my reasoning for the rule is that "Fire affinity" is never an appropriate ability to use for a contest if you're a lay member. It never passes the credibility test, it never makes sense. The rule is a statement of the credibility test. However as I said in the previous mail it could make things a lot more interesting if I relax that. As I said I'll think about it and maybe give it a try - I'm broadly in agreement with your position.

Of course there's always the slight problem that every adventurer at the mo in my game is actually an initiate so it might be a while before I get to try it out.

Cheers,

Ash

*with the Name of Jeff that we hope comes to not such a sticky end as the previous Prophet LokoStevo who stole away the fourth part of Sartar Rising.