Re: Genre rules

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 03:41:18 -0000

> Regardless of the designers thinking (which might be partly motivated
> by a desire to hark back to RuneQuest), I don't think that that is how
> the Orlanthi see it. Thinking of the Runes as impersonal powers is
> thinking like an accursed soulless Meldek (to an Orlanthi).
> (And beware, the rules may be tainted with God-Learnerism :-)

The idea of there being Runes beyond the gods is well established in Orlanthi mythology. The Council of Pairs, the Elementals, and the Elder Powers all pre-existed the current gods and are part of the Orlanthi Creation Myth.

Greg and I spent quite a bit of time working on the Rune magic for HQ2 and this is something he has wanted to be able to reflect in game rules since the early 80s but never quite got it.

Jeff