Re: Genre rules

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:40:43 -0000

> And they are all represented as Gods, not impersonal powers. The only
> stories I can remember that really deal with a Rune as a separate
> power are those concerning Death.

The Orlanthi represent the Runes as gods but also are aware of them as impersonal runes. Here's a truncated bit from the Book of Heortling Mythology:

The Runes
We are good god-worshipping people, and we recognize the presence of the gods in the world. It is the way things are. Way back when before the Spike disappeared, philosophers existed. They revealed that each of the entities there could be presented as a sign of power, which is called a Rune. They identified the Runes for all the primary powers inside the Spike. This method of presentation and summoning has not changed. We still have runes, and the core runes still identify the same powers and beings of old. We have since then discovered many, many other runes that are identified with various entities that may be activities, powers or beings. Some of the old originators of the runes have disappeared, but the runes have not. They have been inherited by other beings who now command, rule or control those powers.

Jeff