Re: Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:39:27 +0200

On 16 February 2010 17:14, roadsgoeveron <daveolloyd_at_...> wrote:

> Out of curiosity, what if it is the reverse:
>
> Player 1:  How far is guard?
> GM:  What are you thinking?
> Player 1:  I want to throw my knife at him.
> GM:  (Hmmm, I don't want this to be too easy, so I'll call it a hard resistance).
> GM:  He's about 20 paces away, a difficult knife throw, but not impossible.
> Player 2:  Okay, I pull out my bow, which makes it much easier, right?
> GM:  (Darn, time to fudge some dice rolls again . . .).

I'm not 100% sure what the question here is, but:

  1. Clever players using appropriate tools for the task should be rewarded, and credibility can well override your narratively ideal difficulty -- let it be Moderate, since that's credible given the way you've stated things, and rewards the player for adjusting his actions to the described situation.
  2. "Looks easy", "it's a tricky shot", etc are often enough, IMO -- no need always to spell out the exact resistance in every case beforehand, until the player is committed. (Sometimes it is only fair, yes -- but still.)

Cheers,