Re: narration of resistance

From: Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:41:30 +0200

On 17 February 2010 00:49, Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...> wrote:

> We decide what to narrate based on the resistance that our story obstacle is
> to present to the heroes.

...and the needs of verisimilitude. Throwing dramatically varying resistances out of the window does IMO less harm to narrative then breaking verisimilitude. (I don't think you're contradicting this, though.)

> It is really important that our players come to trust that what we narrate
> is what their heroes are up against and not fear some hidden numerical
> mystery 'stick'. Also vital is that our story retains its coherence -
> changes in narration can risk damage to that.

*Strong* agreement.

> So we wanted a higher resistance but our narration didn't cut the mustard?
> We should change the resistance, admitting that this was the mistake and
> chalk it up to experience. We can learn better narration with practise and

Absolutely.

> I see discussion around the directly related topic of "narrating the
> resistance chosen". So my story needs a very high resistance here - how do I
> narrate that?

Some thoughts:

Always using the same tactic to deal with narrative/resistance mismatches seems suboptimal to me. Much better to have multiple tools at your disposal, and use whatever seems like the best match at the moment.

Being strict about notional resistance in a scene is pretty illusionistic. That's not to say it is a bad thing, just that there are implications to consider: players may be frustrated if they learn that no matter what they do, the mechanical resistance against them is the same. Properly used this allows characters to solve situations in a manner that highlights their personalities and abilities. Carelessly used this can destroy the interface between the mechanics and narrative, rendering differences between abilities meaningless by encouraging players to just choose the highest rated ability they have that is credible for the task at hand.

Cheers,