Re: question about consequences

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:15:53 -0700

On 26 Mar 2010, at 22:33, vurt500 wrote:

> It seems the rulebook contradicts itself about consequences.
>
> On p.24 the text about degree of success is exactly as it was in HQ1.
>
> The consequences last:
>
> -on a marginal victory: for the contest
> -on a minor victory: for a day
> -on a major victory: for weeks or even months
> -on a complete victory: for ever
>
> But from p.28-31 we learn, that the consequence
>
> 'Hurt' (marginal victory) lasts till the end of the session
> 'Impaired' (minor victory) lasts a week
> 'Injured' (major victory) lasts many months
>
> So which one is correct ?

"Hurt" is metaphorical and doesn't relate only to physical contests. However, Jeff is on the right track, and what matters is how the contest is framed. Physical contests typically have different results.

The one that seems most contradictory is marginal victory (since minor is actually "at least a day, possibly longer"). It's usually up to campaign feel and convenience whether you want to track these. Often the Narrator has an idea of upcoming encounters, and if they're not in a related area, can ignore the minor hurt.

If you want a definite statement: use the more specific statements of States of Adversity, as opposed to the general overview Degrees of Success (which section itself points to States of Adversity).

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein