Re: Narrative characteristics

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:28:54 -0000

A couple of things to bear in mind.

Keywords really help with this problem. Remember that you can use a keyword for anything anyone with that occupation or culture could reasonably do (regardless of whether you are using an umbrella or package approach). So instead of Brawn and Brains just rely on the Farmer's stamina from working all day in the fields or the warrior strength from daily training etc. Good keywords tend to be broad enough to cover day-to-day activities between the set.

Second try to avoid writing adventures that demand a specific skill. instead focus on creating situations that could be solved in a number of ways and allow your players to play to their strengths. Ask yourself the question: could both a healer and warrior solve this crisis? If you can figure out a way that they might, you are fine. If you can rely on folks turning up week-to-week then feel free to create situations that play to a particular characters strengths. Everyone deserves their moment in the spotlight. You can be cautious and avoid problems that the players have no solution to, such as reading a scroll when all are illiterate, but provided you do not constrain them on time, most people can use the abilities they have to find help from someone who has the abilities they lack.

Really this is a bit like life. I have some skills and not others. I try to avoid situations that involve the latter, or ask for help from someone that does have them if I have to deal with them.

If you want characteristics you really shift to a different game. You would probably tend to want a mechanic that added ability to characteristic and adjust the numbers accordingly. You are on your own there.