Re: Narrative characteristics

From: ian_hammond_cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:25:32 -0000

> Exactly what I had in mind but couldn't be able to figure out alone (too much confusion). You've got the point : narrative obstacles have to let players choose the tool ; they're goals, not ways to reach those goals or necessary paths to success. It may sound obvious for many, but I needed to read it.<

There is a really nice model that a lot of 'indie' games use. It's discussed in some of the Sorceror supplements (Sorceror and Sword, Sorcerer and Sex), and built into games like Dogs In the Vineyard and In A Wicked Age. It goes as follows:

Start with a conflict, something at stake. Figure out who the two sides are in that conflict Figure out the motivations of the players on either side to that conflict i.e. the NPCs. Establish the conflict as having a 'status quo' before the beginning As the scenario begins push that conflict into an active stage. Let the players decide how it all plays out

As an example amongst the Red Cow.
Conflict: The Emerald Sword Clan of the Diacoli and the Red Cow are enemy clans, a lot of bad blood exists between them from pervious feuds that has never been quieted by payment of wergild. Korlmyor the Swift of the Emerald Sword killed Kangharl's first wife at the 'Tormakt's Farm Massacre'. Broddi Strong-Kin, chieftain of the Red Cow clan tries to keep his clan from seeking vengeance, knowing that a feud will only spill more blood. Kangharl mocks him for this Key Players: Kangharl Black-Brow, Korlmyor the Swift, Broddi Strong-Kin, Jarstak Bristle-Beard The push: Jarstak recruits the players for a cattle raid into Emerald Sword clan territory. Broddi refuses them permission to raid, fearing the tensions between the clans. Jarstak decides to go anyway. He is Kangharl's man and wants to start a feud, so intends to kill on the raid.

This puts the outcome in the player's hands. Do they raid with Jarstak? Do they try to stop him? Do they try and prevent the killing? If the killing occurs do they agitate to pay no wergild, or do they try to help settle the matter. Will Broddi exile them and or Jarstak?

Hopefully that makes some sense. You can see how the conflict here is in the player's hands. When we played this out one of the players surprised me by killing one of the Emerald Sword clan on the raid himself, kicking off the feud.

I'm putting together something for The Coming Storm which tries to talk to this a lot more