Re: Re: Narrative characteristics

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:18:06 +0100

connruadan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I was asking about "narrative characteristics", I did not only
> want to better understand HQ2, I also wish to use it to play in the
> Planescape setting.
> I don't know if it's the right place to discuss about a "conversion"
> of Planescape to HQ2, but if it's the case I would like to have your
> opinion.

I'm not hugely familiar with the Planescape setting, but I'll give answering your questions a go.

> There are many more questions awaiting answers : how to modelize
> faction belief (affinity again?) ?

It could be an affinity - notably, if the beliefs give a range of special magical powers/Feats (in the D&D sense of "Feats", that is). If not, you'd probably still want some sort of ability to represent them, since this is fairly key in the Planescape setting. It may, OTOH, be the same ability that they use to represent their connection with their community/faction - no need to make these separate abilities without a good reason/

> What would cultural keywords be ? What would they embody (plane of
> origin, beliefs as well, etc) ? �

I'd imagine that many of the races (bariaur, for instance) would have their own cultural keywords. Otherwise, I'd think plane of origin is probably sufficient - it would get very complex very quickly, otherwise. I'd think Sigil would have its own cultural keyword, including such things as knowledge of the city. Beliefs would, I suspect be a part only of those cultural keywords that reflect cultures for whom some particular belief is a crucial element - although this would be the case for most Outer Planes, I'd suspect. And personality traits would be important for many cultural keywords. Otherwise, a cultural keyword should include those abilities that almost everyone from the culture/race/plane in question has - such as the ability to survive in its environment, knowledge of its geography and major powers, and so on. So for Elysium, say, one might have:

Riverine Survival, Knowledge of Elysium, Peaceful, Good Affinity

Perhaps also some overall Planar Knowledge, if almost everyone would have that, plus any languages that might be needed.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/