Re: Rules for Berserking?

From: hairyorlanthi <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:17:29 -0000

Risky Gambit is a good idea.

> Pyrrhic Combat seems a little too harsh to me - Berserks take
> bigger risks, but sometimes that risk pays off and they take very
> little damage, and a more or less average result of dying or badly
> injured seems far too harsh.

However, this is very similar to how the old rules worked. By making berserks have to bid half their remaining AP, they either won big or got hurt bad.

> Risky Gambit sounds right to me.
> If you want to make Berserking more dangerous than normal,

Yes

> so that a Berserk can be badly injured even in victory,

Yes

 >make them always use the Climactic Scene consequences table for Berserking, even
> when a fight would otherwise not be one.

Now that's a fine idea!

> And of course they have to overcome their Eternal Battle affinity with another ability to do
> anything but slaughter in any given contest.

Or Berserk affinity if they are Babeester Gori, but sure.

> There is also the question of how to deal with the post-Berserk fatigue.

I don't believe this has been described in HQ, but it is worthwhile. I think of Babeester Gori as more likely to be emotionally exhausted. I imagine them working up to their rage by picturing the very thing that caused them to go on the Avenging Daughter's path. So bringing firmly to mind (for example) the charred corpses of her dead children is bound to be intense. Of course, Babeester Gor's magics and cultic knowledge teach how to use violence and revenge as cleansing catharsis!

Anyone else think of Babeester Gori as the fanatic suicide bombers of Sartar? A woman who is wronged goes to them, undergoes horrible tests and in short order, gains terrible powers for killing. I imagine 80% of them never survive the death of their first target, but the 20% of those who do go on to become truly frightening. And I never forget that as Greg put it "every one of them is a player character."

Mike