Risky Gambits on a "sure thing"

From: hairyorlanthi <mdawson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 14:54:59 -0000

I know how I would run this, but a player of mine noticed yesterday that in situations where your character has an overwhelming advantage, there's no reason not to say you're going to do a Risky Gambit.

If you're going to win anyway due to overwhelming numbers, (say, a 2 mastery advantage) why not do the Gambit to get a higher level of assured victory?

My take on this is simple: If there is NO chance of defeat, then it isn't Risky. If there's a chance (even a Fumble by the better guy vs. a crit by the "victim") then we'll let the dice tell the story. I've seen some extraordinary rolls change the course of my stories!

Last night's Risky Gambit involved a Babeester Gori enchanting an axe. She sacrificed one of the Bronze Horses of Melsorkorth, her priestess tortured to death the rider, and for just a moment as she cut the seven souls of the victim, before the tortured bits of soul came apart, in them she saw Yara Aranis rising up from Hell for her. Good thing the hero rolled well!

Mike