Feat "Defenses"

From: sarah.newton5_at_... <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:47:49 -0000

Morning all!

Time for my regular "Grok Heroquest" question :-)

I'm looking at the Heroforming and Identity Challenges section of Sartar: KoH, and trying to understand the reasoning in the example behind the GM's decision that the Thunderer Feat offers no defense against the Moon Madness power.

First, my assumption. I'm assuming that if Korolvanth was just using the Air rune affinity and not the Thunderer Feat, there would be no problem: he'd be able to continue attacking with the Air rune affinity (doubtless subject to broad ability penalties, etc), and the Lunars would attack back with the Mood Madness power: for non-Feat abilities there is no sense of needing an "appropriate defense" - that's what the Mismatched Goals rules cover.

So, the Thunderer Feat doesn't cover defense against the Lunar Moon Madness power, rules the GM. I'm curious as to why, and what else it might not cover defense against. By the Feat description, it uses crashing great sounds, gales, fiery winds, etc, striking armies senseless and making lesser beings flee. So presumably if your opponent fights back with physical weapons, particularly bows, etc, you're fine. But what about magic?

As this applies to the logic of all Feat use, I'd like to understand it. What do you think is behind the GM's decision?

Cheers!

Sarah

BTW - thanks to *everyone* patiently replying to these posts, it's much appreciated! I'm really enjoying the HQ2 stuff, and am converting my HQ1 stuff over bit by bit right now. I'm *almost* ready to run a session ;-)