Re: Re: Changing rune affinities?

From: ryancaveney_at_...
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:41:38 -0800 (PST)

Mike Dawson wrote:

> Hints suggest BG's rites are quite horrible. I've always imagined (and play it

> as if) anyone willing to go through said rites who survives can invert her Life
>
> powers in order to become a maiden of death.
> In fact, I think that by far, this is the "norm" for Axe Maidens. They are not

> born that way, they are *reborn* that way through blood, suffering and need.
> I imagine, in a general sense, the same is true for people deciding to dedicate
>
> to Humakt, Storm Bull, or even Chalana Arroy.

I strongly agree. I even see it as part of the standard progression of most Ernaldans. That is, to go from Ernalda / Esrola to Asrelia / Ty Kora Tek ought to involve losing all Fertility rune powers in exchange for something else: this being Glorantha, menopause should be magical as well as physical. Although for Asrelia, I'm not sure what the new rune should be; TKT should clearly get Death or sometimes Spirit in exchange, but what is a good rune for buried wealth and hidden wisdom? Mastery, maybe, if the worshipper doesn't already have it.

In fact, I think for mythic purposes of severing, a devotee of Humakt should *have* to sacrifice some other rune (IMO, normally Air for those who don't start with Life) in order to get at least one of their Death or Truth affinities. At the very least, those who do cut themselves off from their former magic ought to get some kind of bonus from their additional similarity to Humakt in doing so.

Ryan