Re: Odaylan Beast Charms

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:02:02 -0000

> Are these both true? If so, I'm not clear why any Odaylan would bother with the
> former, unless the latter ritual s very hard. If the former is true, can this be
> any old kolating, or does it have to be a spirit society member or even shaman?

OK, the sections mean exactly what they say. Any Odalying can breath in his prey animal's last breath into a charm. Period. The only limiting factor is that he needs to hunt the animal and the charm is restricted to that animal.

In contrast, Odaylings who have succeeded in special sacred hunt are rewarded by the local kolating with ANY beast charm (including beasts no longer found in these parts).

Here's the idea - a player who wants to switch one charm for another needs to tell the Narrator what animal he is hunting for. The Narrator assigns a difficulty - if successful, you get a charm based on that animal.

However, we concluded that was pretty restrictive - what if you want an unusual beast charm and don't have the opportunity within the parameters of the campaign to hunt for it? So we included an alternative - if you have succeeded in a "sacred hunt" (up to the Narrator as to what she wants that to be in her campaign), your Odayling can get any beast charm from the local Kolating.

> I would say that they are two parts of the same ritual, but poorly explained.
> If you look at ST p150 it looks clearer.

That's certain not the intent of the authors. And also FWIW, ST/TR are not particularly good sources for trying to get additional gloss on the newer material. Where we thought TR/ST adequately described things, we were willing to keep the text. Where we dropped text from TR/ST, it is because we thought the text was misleading, wrong, outdated, or otherwise not worth including.

Jeff