Re: Messy combat.

From: Mikael Raaterova <ginijji_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:03:53 +0200

>Now by my calculations the focus of the scene shifted from straight
>forward combat (and sometimes there *are* times when you can't do a damn
>thing to one another) to the first Telmori's relationship with the
>second, to the idiot trying (and failing) to get a magical edge on his
>sword, to the idiot running away, to the idiot climbing a tree. Now
>given that it wasn't the skill we started with that decided the result
>and the nature of the contest being mostly away from the initial skill
>how the galloping Norah would I run something like that with a HW
>extended combat?

I'd say that the idea to run away and climb a tree is either a (successful) breakaway (simple) contest, or a breakaway contest *and* a stay-out-of-harm's-reach-in-a-tree contest. With or without carryover mods, depending on the actual situation.

It's definitely not one long combat contest.

>In RQ your intent lasts a turn. In HW it seems to be thought that it
>will last the entire contest.

Yes. Until you change your objective, whereupon the current contest is aborted if you successfully break away (assuming your opponent doesn't want you to escape) and, possibly, a new contest is initiated. If the new contest is initiated by the former opponent who wants to continue the old one, then carryover mods probably apply.

--
-
Mikael Raaterova        [.sig omitted on legal advice]