Re: Re: Masteries as Modifiers

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:50:06 +0100

Rob Barrett wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...
> <mailto:TTrotsky%40blueyonder.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> > If there is "No roll", the player gains an automatic complete success,
> > per the rule on p.51.
> >

> Are you extrapolating that result from the "Target Numbers of Zero or
> Less"
> sidebar on p. 51? That's written from the character's POV (i.e., what
> happens if your ability is reduced to 0 or less by modifiers), giving
> them a
> complete defeat. The assumption there is that the resistance has a
> complete
> success, yes? And applying the sidebar to resistances instead of
> characters
> simply reverses the terms of the ruling?

I can't see any obvious reason why the rule wouldn't apply to resistances as well as to characters, yes. That is, if the resistance has its value reduced to zero or less, it suffers a complete defeat, which means that the character gains a complete success. If, for some reason, that ain't so, then the only remaining option I can see is to leave the resistance alone and give the player a bump up, creating the extra Mastery gap between the abilities that way, as was my initial suggestion (also consistent with the rules, though not, I now suspect, their intention).
--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/