Re: Gloranthan HQ2 - Broadness of Occupational Keywords

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:59:55 -0000

Ash,

You're missing the point. I'm not spending too much time in actual play thinking over this - I'm just trying to understand how the rules-as-written work. Saying "if you have to think about the rules too long, don't use them" doesn't really help, or answer my question. :-)

For me, HQ2 is a rules set where it's easy just to cave in and houserule or even just "wing" tons of stuff, rather than thinking through the implications of the rules-as-written. Right now I'm not interested in doing that. I've played HW and HQ1 extensively, and now I'm playing HQ2 and basically trying to tease out the fine points of the rules. I *want* to understand the rules-as-written - they seem to be much more robust and internally consistent than both HW and HQ1, although they're very different, and in places quite complex - and that includes the broad ability penalty / niche protection rules (as I've said before, I'm fine with the Specific Ability bonus rules). I haven't played HQ2 long enough yet to have "internalised" the rules and the various paradigms at work, so I don't have a gut feel for comparing different types of keywords and abilities on the fly. I need to understand the rules in order to internalise them - once I've done that, I'm sure it will be a doddle. ;-)

And I think, as I mentioned in my last post, I may now have answered my own question puzzling it out here! :D

Cheers!

Sarah