Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 08:36:36 -0000

> The problem I have is simply this: The guns on the big ship are killer to such a small craft; the maneuverability of the small ship is probably high enough that hitting it is very hard for the big guns, but if they do hit the small craft is dust. How do you suggest a credible solution to this and still keep things moving quickly? (I am pretty well convinced it is just "is that believable in this situation", but I am still wondering if there is something else that might be done.)

I've dealt with the very issue (playing HQ2 Star Wars in fact). You as the Narrator decide how challenging this should be (usually based on how important this is as an obstacle - is this the climactic exciting scene or is this just a "random encounter" that diverts from the main fun?) and then the players come up with how they overcome it.

"OK guys, you blast off from Mos Eisley, but before you can get to Hyperspace there are three Star Destroyers that are trying to intercept you, with their huge guns firing your way."

"Well, the Falcon has Done the Kessel Run in Twelve-Parsecs, so we are going to outrun the Star Destroyers until we can make the jump."

"Alright, those blasters could disintegrate you with a direct hit and the Destroyers are fast as well, so that's going to be Hard Difficulty. Roll!"

"Shoot. I rolled a really lame failure."

"And I got a success. That's a minor defeat for you. You try to outrun the Destroyers but a direct hit from the Destroyer disables your shields and there's probably some other damage to the Falcon that will need time to repair. The Destroyer locks its Tractor Beam on the Falcon and you are pulled inexorably towards the great imperial ship."

Jeff