Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Jeff <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:27:05 -0000

> Right, I get that. But where I have a problem is physics. Reality is a
> b*tch. The energy of a .22 Long Rifle and 7.62mm NATO round are very
> different at 100 feet. But, the weapon firing them is identical (both
> are M14s in different calibers). The .22 will not kill the cow, the 7.62
> will. There is a difference.

For most stories, it really doesn't matter if James Bond is using a .22 or a 9mm - a gun is a gun is a gun. Dirty Harry has his "Big Gun that will blow your head clean off" as an ability, but it kills no differently than William Munny using his "Lucky when it comes to killing" ability (a breakout ability from his Murderin' Gunfighter keyword).

But if Dirty Harry says he wants to use his Big Gun to stop a car (by shooting it in the Engine Block), he can. For William Munny, it doesn't pass the credibility test.

Beyond that, I rarely see any more distinction between firearms being made in stories or films. Jane has "Vera" which can shoot through walls, but it is no better in a regular firefight than Mal's "Quick Shot" ability.

Jeff