Re: Friendly NPC Ability Scores

From: SARAH <sarah.newton5_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 09:04:50 -0000

Hi everyone,

I think I'm answering my own question again. :-) I've been having a fresh and closer look at 'Supporting Characters', the Ally, Patron, and Contacts sections in the Relationships chapter, and think I can extrapolate how to handle friendly NPCs. That section implies 'statting' a supporting character on a PC's character sheet with a Relationship score and one or more keywords or key abilities at levels equal to the PC's highest ability score or a couple of masteries higher. So, you could have "Patron: Gringle 13 (Issaries Priest 17W2)" or some such.

By extension a "casual" NPC ally (one you don't necessarily have a Relationship ability score for) could be statted in similar fashion (assuming we see his role as analogous to a Patron).

The Supporting Characters section implies that succeeding in a Relationship roll of such a Patron would persuade (etc) him to use his abilities on your behalf, as direct abilities. This could be as a separate ability, augment, assist, whatever. Again by extension, this would be the model for a "casual" NPC, too.

For my purposes, that means I can either sketch Gringle with a keyword or two, or even with more detailed Significant and Exceptional Ablities, then set his top ability score (as a Patron) a couple of masteries above the PC's highest ability. For a more equal ally, I'd set his ability roughly equal to the PC's top ability.

Does that sound about right?

Cheers,

Sarah