Magical Abilities, puny vs. powerful

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 19:53:58 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Richard Develyn wrote:

> From: James Turner [mailto:j.a.turner_at_...]
>
> <me>the name of an ability wholly specifies its applicability but
> <me>not (in any way) its potency.
> [snip]
> <me>Am I right?
>
> >Yes.
> >Is this a problem?
>
> Yes.
>
> Not insolvable (none of them are). I don't think people should go to the
> trouble of becoming devotees, searching out special spirits, etc, and all
> they get in the end is just another way of skinning the same cat (apologies
> Yinkin followers). IMO, some abilities should be more powerful than others
> (i.e. get an intrinsic 'plus', possibly an edge).
>
> Richard

I've wondered about adding some diversity into HW combat magic.

One thing would be "disruption" type magic. Allowing one to bid 7 AP, and resulting in a wound if successful.

Parhaps lightning would be biddable in degrees of 7AP and result in a number of wounds. Bidding 28 AP could get four wounds (a hefty -4).

  ---

Can somebody tell me what the hell is sunset leap supposed to be? I can make something up, but what were the creators thinking it would be?

Also what are flickering blade and lightning sword like? I wish they had taken a bit more time with the feats and given at least basic descriptions. Flexibility is good, total ambiguity or plain ignorance aren't.

        -Mikko 'Adept' Rintasaari

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"