New to the lists here and a magic question

From: jonsmithers778 <jonsmithers778_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 09:39:18 -0000

But not so new to RP generally, having been at it for about 30 years - OMG has it really been that long!!!!! I have just started running a Heroquest Game (going to be the Colymar Campaign in the main) and have a question just to get me started here:

In out recent session one player summoned a wind whirl around the group to protect them from missile fire and keep their foes away. There were twelve foes which i had put in to 3 groups. This was part of a group extended contest but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the way I handled it (although it worked ok in a story context -which is good). The players aim was to drive off the enemy. Basically I had the spell caster roll against each group effectively fighting 3 enemies (though I did forget to do the multiple enemies thing). How do you apply this kind of large magic in this kind of situation? Once a wind is summoned does the magician have to maintain it? Hope this is not to vague.
Thanks - Jon