Jonas on enhancements

From: Timothy Byrd <timbyrd_at_...>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:36:17 -0700

Jonas Schiott replying to me:

> >Am I calculating something incorrectly?
>
> No... except that you're counting "Both Marginal Defeat" as a tie.
In
> contests where only the actor's result counts (like enhancements...)
this
> is really a defeat.

In that case, skill of 17 vs. resistance of 17W: actor wins 4.25%, ties 4.75% (crit vs crit - narrator call), and loses 91.00%

Skill of 2W vs. resistance of 17W: actor wins 1.50%, ties 4.75% (crit vs crit - narrator call), and loses 93.75%

[To Alex on 1's and 20's rules]

> I think 1w is slightly more effective in contests against other
values
> that have exactly one mastery - they don't get all those criticals
> anymore. And as someone else said, +1 AP. Not a _lot_ of difference,
but
> increasing an ability by 1 never is. That's why I want enhancements
> work better. :-)

Getting a failure vs. an opponent's success is better than getting a success vs. his failure? In simple contests it makes no difference, and in extended a forfeit x2 can take you out when a transfer x1 would not. (And I don't see many AP running around in simple contests...)