Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 13:41:13 +0100

On 7 Oct 2012, at 13:10, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> Yesterday with HeroQuest II augments and arithmetic made the narrative very
> Snip
> > then?"
>
> Augmenting contest? Oh, HQ2, not 1... well, go back to HQ1 (do not ever have gone to HQ2...) and don't roll it, then.

In HQ2 rolling for augments does one of 3 things,

gives a +, may add to the story

does nothing, detracts from the story and the die roll is a waste

gives a massive - , rarely if at all appears, in consequence is a waste of time. So having weighed this up, in my HQ2 games, I use the quick augment option (HQ2 page p55): "Narrators may choose to run their game with calculated augments: divide the augmenting ability by 5 and round."

(Most) players will do this in their head automatically. Failures reflect on the augmenting ability as well, giving colour to descriptions in . I recommend quick augments, as they speed the game. Roleplay not roll play.

As for stepping back to HQ1, it's not worth it at all unless you have the rules already, even then it's a step backwards in rpg technology.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433