Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Re: Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 20:27:22 +0100 (BST)

It's not maths heavy - but it can easily get arithmetic heavy, which if you're not confident with mental arithmetic can screw your part in the narrative up no end. It's not uncommon to need to combine four numbers (ability, augment, lingering penalty, one or more lingering bonuses). Even if you describe a strategy for people [1] it doesn't mean they've got the facility to follow it. I'm pretty good at mental arithmetic and I usually have to think it through for a second or two then wonder where the hell I was in the narrative. The arithmetic is a speed bump.

Interestingly I don't see players having the same problem with Dogs in the Vineyard, Apocalypse World or Cortex + even though they have a lot of addition [2]. From what I've seen at the gaming table it's because HQ has more subtraction and it's got the whole "if the target number of over 20 subtract 20 and add a mastery" or the far worse "If your target number is less than 1 add 20 and subtract a mastery."

As a narrator it's less of a problem as you're dealing with difficulty levels and only turn them into numbers just before you need to roll the dice. You can have them scrawled down already for that particular session's base difficulty.

So yes, while I'm not the correspondent you're replying to, I mean seriously or I wouldn't have started this thread.

[1] When I play I use the fact that most bonuses/penalties are multiples of three or are complete masteries so cancel I bonuses and penalties out as far as possible so you'll be left with fewer numbers to add or subtract

[2] Cortex + can require subtraction and then division by 5 and when that happens the game slows down as well, as far as I can tell for the same reasons.