Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 11:17:53 +0100 (BST)

> From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>

> Actually, what I meant here was that I precalculated the automodification value
> for each skill.  So the Character sheet would have entries like this:
>
> Acute Senses  7W(+5)
>
> So that the playe would be able to read that Acute senses as a lead ability is
> 7W and as an augment would give them +5 to the lead skill.

Gavain's a player in my game, and posts his augment list in this format. It's very helpful: I can skim down the list, rule out anything I don't agree with, possibly with requests for clarifiation ("you want to use "Brave" and "Cowardly" both at once? Let's see the narration...") and then have a nice simple job of addition to do even if I've swapped the lead ability he's using. My memory for numbers is lousy, so not having to look up what the augment is for each ability helps a lot.

One place where it could be less helpful is if I look and say "yes, I'll allow that, but it's a stretch, let's say use the ability at -10. Ah, so the augment is now.... pass the table." But instead, of "ability at -10", I say "augment at -1" - both numbers pulled out of my head on the fly, after all - and I'm still on easy sums.