Re: family of Humakti

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 03:55:20 +0100 (BST)

Brad Furst:
> I was surprised to read about family of Humakti at various parts of the new
> _Hero_Wars_ publications. I had thought that candidates to Humakt were
> required to sever all family ties. Perhaps I am mistaken; does anyone
> remember such a point of view?

Not really a rules issue; if you want the Precise, Esoteric, and Flame-Filled answer to this, ask on the GD. ;-)

Kin-severing is a known practice among Humakti, but not universal. It's also something you can do to different degrees: formally leaving your entire clan, or simply distancing yourself from your closest kin. ("Brother, have you been killing sun-gods _again_?") Depth of devotion is very likely also a factor in many cases.

HW puts this quite nicely, actually. Relationship-severing is an ability, rather than a requirement... (Though doubtless some shrines and temples will have a formal requirement of some sort, or have it as part of a gift/geas...)

Cheers,
Alex.