Re: Re: feats example

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:02:43 +0200

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000, Nick Brooke wrote:

> So, is it: generic jumping magic (with a confusing name)? Jumping at sunset
> (only) magic? Jumping (with a bonus at sunset) magic? Line-of-sight
> teleportation magic? Teleportation at sunset (only) magic? Teleportation
> (with a bonus at sunset) magic? Heroquesty jumping-to-the-Isles-of-Sunset
> magic? A Slaine-style vertical salmon-leap as a surprise move in combat
> (with a bonus if it's used to put out a Solar's lights)? etc.

I would go for it being jumping magic, with a bonus (or rather reduced resistance) if it is westward, until the character has mastered the affinity, at which point more, ah, heroic feats should be possible. Distance and difficulty modifiers as normal, -5 if westwards, -5 if the sun is setting. Perhaps +5 if used towards east.

In combat I think I would be satisfied to let the character attempt to move around without spending an unrelated action, possibly gaining some edge/enhancement from surprise. A marginal victory wold succed, but costing an action. If somebody wanted to really land on somebodys head, it would be a switch of abilities used in the contest, again probably surprising the opponent.

I definetely think that giving examples on how to use, at least the more cryptic, abilities in play would be good. Definitions could easily be constraining. In the long cult writeups it would be nice if the origen of the feats given were in the Mythos and History section, integrating the myth with the game, so to speak.

 --
Henrix