Rules Thought: Reputation

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 13:17:28 -0400

Folks,

Last night while playing, we had a notable event: Our resident Lankor Mhy, Aelric of Writing Bone, was successfully able to preform the nigh-impossible "Oscar Vs The Great Troll" feat and forced the participants in a small battle (which was rapidly becomeing a bloody draw) to cease their strife, bandage their wounds and withdraw from the field.

He now has the name 'The Peacemaker'

We had an idea for a new sort of, well, its best described as a relationship (it seems to fit there called Reputation.

Reputation would function similarly to a knowlege skill -- in that the people you meet would know of YOUR reputation (good or bad). The farther away you are from your home or the farther you are from where you earned your name (and any Publicrelations you did -- I can see folks hiring bards and poets to spread their fame).

The effect would be that folk would know you as your reputation, and react accordingly (for good or Ill).

Example: Own Clan (or tribe if you're a tribal figure such as Tribal Ring or Champ) - Normal
Tribal (non tribal figure) -3
Tribal Confederation -6
Nation (eg Sartar) -12

Similar drop offs could be had within one's on relition. It may be that you should have the relationship be organization specific but that may be a bit too much hairsplitting.

Anyways, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jeff