SB on theism.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:29:45 +0100 (BST)

Simon Bray:
> I have a quick query - If a character is a devotee and has been repeatedly
> using an improvised Feat over and over, which fits with mythology, can he
> then use hero points to cement that feat and lose the improvisational
> modifier. I'll eloborate.

Absolutely. I don't have the NB to hand, but there's even a listed cost for this, isn't there? (i.e., a mighty one point). Indeed, no requirement to have used it more than once, really, just so long as it's 'come up in play'. (Even if it hasn't, in principle it just costs more HPs.)

> What do you think? I am too nice a GM and would say yes, but is this the way
> the rules guide it? I can't work it out.

I'm not absolutely certain they say so in so many words, but that's the clear implication. If one were a real stickler you could demand that the player come up with some sort of Mythic Rationale for the new Feat,

> My next queery is why are Theist so powerful? Animist seem limited to one
> use spells, only the clergy of the Malkioni seem to have any clout and the
> mystics baffle me completely. I am talking about the common men here, not
> the all powerful.

Because we are the Orlanthi, greatest people in the world! The rules are just Getting With The Programme! OK, OK, I'll calm down...

I'm not sure, can't say I've done hideous amounts of analysis of the 'game balance' of same. Note that to get to use Affinities, never mind Feats, you have to dedicate 30% of your time. Theistic common worshippers get a pretty mediocre magical deal, too.

Cheers,
Alex.