Re: Among our many types of animist...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:39:41 +0100 (BST)

Julian Lord:
> > OK, 'Green Age animist', picky one.
>
> Ah ! Sorry, my mistake : I get the gist now.
>
> Yes, I agree (unless I've misunderstood again) :
> relics of prehistoric magic systems must exist in Glorantha.
>
> Non-four-worlds-ontology-wise.
>
> > Did you object to the terminology
> > 'Primitive' in RQ3, though?
>
> Yes.

Ah. Your position then has the merit of consistency, sir -- if not logic. ;-)

To try and be a bit more clear, I'm saying there at least seem to be two different 'clusters' of (HW) animist types: the above sort, represented by the hsunchen especially, and chunks of the Doraddi tradition, who are typically at the hunter-gatherer cultural 'level', and whose magic is primarily one of integration, and have a 'classical' animisy world-view. Then there are the Praxians, the trolls, etc, who are allegedly 'higher tech' cultures, and who have a religion with a more totemistic/shamanic/ spirit-cultic/neo-theistic 'spin' to it.

Cheers,
Alex.