Re: family of Humakti

From: Brian Laxson <b1laxson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 02:10:17 -0000

> I don't remember your reference from Hero Wars, but my point of
view
> is that Humakti are human beings, as are their families. The ritual
> severing is as much a legal event as anything, absolving their kin
> from having to pay wergild for those the Humakti kills. It's true
> that it's a magic ritual and it will reduce their feelings towards
> their "former" kin, but the kin haven't gone through the same
ritual,
> and haven't lost their old feelings.

Interesting point about the wereguild.

In the case of Agnar that I play he is now in the process of trying to get married (please, I know there are a lot of mix views on this). This is the interruptation and example we are using in our game.

Agnar's background story his prior family and clan (from Tarsh) where wiped out. A few family members survived: His father, him and a sister. Agnar and his father became Humakt initiates and were thus dead. The sister then proclaimed herself to be an orphan, with no suriviving family members. In this case they severed their clan ties and family ties.

I draw alot of inspiration from the King of Dragon Pass game. In the Humakti quest Humakt severs the ties to his kin to obsolve them of the deeds he must do with Death. Later though he meets Orlanth and a new arrangement is made.

Agnar, and his father Vulfgar, later join the player's clan, the Greydogs. Here a new relationship was formed. Agnar is affected by the clans magic as he is part of the clan.

However, more because he is a Humakti (and not for being from Tarsh) it may reduce the affects of kin strife, or remove it at all, if the Humakti do the doing the trouble makers. Hmm... isn't this where Jeff cried out in an out of game jest for the clan's chief "Will no Humakti rid me of this god botherer!"

Now getting Agnar married is proving to be more troublesome than my Pendragon character (oh... the off topic tales we could tell). You see the father of the bride is expecting Agnar to die in battle leaving her a widow.

In short I feel the Humakti sever the ties becoming initiates (or devotees) of the god but can work to build new ties (difficult though it may be).

Brian Laxson
aka Agnar, "Well if we kill the bride's clan before I marry her it's not kin strife is it?"