Re: Thunder Rebels; learning feats & talents

From: Jarec Basham <jarec_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 11:48:13 -0000

> > If a character is a devotee and has been repeatedly
> > using an improvised Feat over and over, which fits with
mythology, can he
> > then use hero points to cement that feat and lose the
improvisational
> > modifier.
>
> Yes. (I'd let the same happen if he's an initiate, except that
would
> only reduce the improvisational modifier to the normal one for
> initiates.) This would count as "learn a new feat" which is in the
> table on p.32. It's 1 HP since he's improvised it already, 2
> otherwise.

As I see the link between Affinities/Feats and Initiates/Devotees an Initiate gets the improvisational modifier because they don't know the mythic detail. They may know that their God could fly but they don't know that they were facing into the wind. Once they learn this level of detail either through becoming a devotee and getting the full story or over time through trial and error, then the modifier will vanish.

Taking this one stage further I find it difficult to envisage how a new feat can be learnt for a god without performing a hero quest. I can live with someone coming back and saying 'Hey did you know that Humakt fought a Troll in total darkness and won' and creating a 'fight in darkness' feat but a character guessing at this seems a bit far fetched.

Jarec