Re: Mysticism

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:51:32 +0200

Nikk:

> People seem to be getting very confused over Mysticism. I have to
> say that I found them the easiest rules to read. Also, they don't
> seem all that weak, Mystic Strikes look set to be devastating in
> effect.

Undoubtedly, but they are devastating to an enemy who is already defeated.

> Someone asked about the examples of Riding a Lightning Bolt, or
> having your hands turn into Raking Claws, and to me these seem
> to be Strike powers,

For which the Strike mechanism isn't very well suited IMO. The eagle claws doesn't feel like a final "kill or die" effect and more tellingly neither the eagle claws nor the lightning bolt ride is an instantaneous effect, which is really what strikes can model.

> I think there's a line or two on Strike powers
> being able to do non-combative effects, so you could have Strike
> powers such as Jump over Walls, where the resistance is the
> height of the wall.

That is possible, but IMO most non-cmbat effects would be better modelled as Counters, but those you can only learn one of...

But I shouldn't just complain but do something about it. Watch a separate message for variant mysticism rules.

Nils Weinander
The world is a beautiful place and it's worth fighting for

Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger. http://im.yahoo.com