Re: Group simple contests

From: Henrix <henrix_at_...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 16:13:29 +0200

On Fri, 09 Jun 2000, Benedict Adamson wrote:
> Page 128 describes group simple contests. How do masteries affect
> group simple contests? In particular, what happens if contestants on
> the same side have different levels of mastery?

This is how I would read it:
As contestant rolls against his ability, just as normal, a mastery would bump his success. So, if we use the example from p.128, but with the difference that, say, Kallai and Rollo are masters. Kallai's success (with a roll of 6), would have been a critical, and Rollo's failure a success, so their total would be 9 (6 as the lowest roll plus 3 for Rurik's failure), but still counting the best result, Kalli's crit. The opposition would still get 5, the lowest roll of their succeses, but a measly success. A critical vs. a success is a minor victory.

Now, if both sides have multiple masteries and can be counted on to produce nothing but crits and successes, I'd go for reducing them all with the lowest common denominator. That is if all are at least 1w, reduce all masteries by one step.

The problem with the group simple contests is that you get penalised for having more contestants on your side than the opposition has. So it should perhaps be used most sparingly, and only where people could get in each other's way. You definitely don't want somebody with no applicable ability on your side, say a character with no Strength-related ability when trying to lift a log, as he only has an ability of 6, and will likely add 3 to your total ;-)

--
Henrix