Re: Hero Points

From: Wesley Quadros <wquadros_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 10:10:43 -0700

hw-rules_at_egroups.com wrote:

> To wit, what? I personally think the 'don't exist' -- or rather,
> can't be spent for after-the-fact bump-ups -- is a much better idea

In our play test, use of a Hero Point had to be declared before the dice was rolled. And we did have several instances where characters were dropped into the low -30's who would have won if they had used a HP (our berserker Yinkini hunter has a knack for landing at -35 or -39 and being dragged back from the edge of death by some rapid healing by the Devoldan Bandage Roller roller).

We perfered the pre-declaration so that a person could not hoard HP and use them when they needed a "get out of death free" card.

> if you don't want the heroes to have 'plot protection'. Making
> them ubiquitous among NPCs is simply introducing 'HP inflation',
> IMO. After all, minor, non-on-going NPCs aren't really in the

We have met two NPCs in our campaign who had HP - It was not fun! Both turned around and knocked the Hedkoranthi's enchanted thunderstone aside with their bare fists (thunderstone 16w3)!!

I agree with Alex that if you gave them to every NPC then the narrator would go nuts tracking them and PCs would start rending their hair when the "chaff" enemy ignores their Ultimate Death Magic(tm).

Besides, how better to let the PCs know that this NPC is nasty than to have him produce a Hero Point at the crucial moment.

Cheers,

Wesley