Re: NPC HPs

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 11:12:58 EDT

Wesley Quadros:

<< I am not sure which of us you were responding to. In our game some NPCs did have HP. We just did not know who did until some bugger popped one in our faces. >>

     Indeed; I'm saying that there that if a HP is being defined as an abstraction of something that actually exists in Glorantha (as Alex suggested) then the criteria for an NPC having them would be the same as for a PC. Thus, if all PCs have them, it follows that all NPCs of similar experience will too.

      The only alternative (entirely reasonable, in the right sort of campaign) is that HP are just a *game* abstraction designed to give the PCs an edge over the baddies on the grounds that they are the 'central characters' of the story, and that only NPCs who are crucial to the plot are therefore likely to have them.

      Or, thirdly, that they can't be used to bump results, which, on due consideration, is the approach that I would use.

Trotsky