Re: Re: Introducing Agnar

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:43:22 -0400

> I think that there aren't enough Humakti to form regiments. Most Heortling
> mercenaries belong to Orlanth Adventurous or Hedkoranth (sp?) but Humakt is
> much too demanding for most people. OTOH the idea of a mercenary warband
> such as the Silver Daggers of Katherine Kerr's Deverry series is enticing.
> An exiled, disgraced warrior looking for redemption is a perfect candidate
> for the cult, IMO. After all an outlaw in Heortling society is already more
> or less dead, no?
>
> Cheers,
> The New Owner of the Alex Rune.

The other concern I have, especially in light of the Current Occupation of Sartar: The Lunars frown fairly heavily on organzied units training. And the proposed regimental magic would be very much a concern of the Lunars.

Something like LUNAR-oriented units would be fine, of course. I am sure that they would sanction Yanafal regiments in Sartar if they could find the folks to fill out the roster.

But a regiment or the like must have room to practice and drill together. How else does the espirit get built? (Rune Metal Jacket is a wonderful whack at this -- thanks, dude!)

I'd say that a more disorganized hero band would be more likely in this timeframe. The Hidden Gale would be a more extreme case as they are all fugitives and enemies of the Empire. Besides, I don't feel that the fighting style of the Orlanthi lends itself to such tactics. Fyrd and Warband are the cultural tools of war.

Jeff